Friday, January 16, 2009

Wii Wait...

Monday, no call.
Tuesday, no call.
Wednesday, no call.
Thursday, no call.
Friday, no call.

WTH?

All week, I've continued the search for my Wii Console, locally. You know, just in case something happens and Circuit City falls through. Why are they so difficult to find? It's been three weeks since Christmas. On Friday, I found one listed on EBay. It was local. So I emailed the seller and asked if we could waive the shipping fees and arrange a pick up point in Charlotte. The seller responded that an arrangement could be made. So I placed a max bid of the cost of the console + NC state sales tax. Though I was the highest bidder, the reserve had not been met. I did not bid again. I'm just not willing to spend more than retail on this thing!

Before I left the office, news had broken that Circuit City was given permission to begin their bankruptcy liquidation. UH-oh. What does this mean for my Wii?

When I left the office, I sat in my car waiting for it to warm up some. I called the store number on my receipt. "Circuit City, How may I direct your call?" "Hi, I was calling to find out if your truck has come in today." "Yes, our truck has come in." "Did you have any Wii consoles on it?" "Yes, we did." "Oh, I had been able to pre-order one and I didn't get a call that they were in." "Oh, well, that was supposed to be an automated call. You didn't get it?" "No, but if the consoles are in, I'll be over there in just a few minutes. Thanks."

I get to Circuit City and head straight for the Customer Service desk. I hand them my receipt and tell them I'm here to pick up my Wii console. "Did I just speak to you about 15 minutes ago?" "Yep, that would be me!" Another friendly cashier walked over and stood on my right side. He pointed to my left and said, "Are those your car keys over there?" As he said this, he snatched up my Wii console and tucked it under his arm to hide it from me. "Aa-aa!" I said as I nudged him, "You can be my best friend. You can come to my house to play it, but I'm gonna need that back," and I pulled it back out of his hands. "Well, I'm gonna have plenty of time to do that..." It was all very friendly and jovial. We had some nervous laughs about all these employees losing their jobs in the very near future. I felt bad for them. I asked if they had Mario Kart in stock and another salesperson said, "Yes, I believe we do. Do you want me to get that for you?" And off he went to fetch the game for me. Even with the knowledge that they were all out of a job, they were all very friendly, helpful and thankful that I was still shopping with them and said so as I took my purchases and headed for the door.

No comments: