Monday, January 5, 2009

Wii... Wii Fit!

At the beginning of the year, we placed Denali in “Canine Camp” and headed to Raleigh with our son. It was time for his winter break to be over. He’d moved into a new room in his dorm and he wanted to get in there to organize it before he needed to investigate where his classes would be and purchase his books.

On Saturday night, we met up with Doug’s oldest son, Douglas and his new fiancée, Christina. We had a great dinner and headed back for Douglas’ condo to have our Christmas. We didn’t stay long, as Douglas and Christina had just gotten back from a trip to the Outer Banks and they were pretty worn out.

On Sunday, I wanted to be able to get on the road by 1:00 so that we could be back home in plenty of time to pick Denali up from Camp. (Another story from another trip to Raleigh, we ran into traffic that made us 20 minutes late picking her up. But the folks at the Camp are so kind; they stuck around for us to get our baby.) So we had a tight schedule for Sunday morning. Skip breakfast; get Ian to his dorm at 9:00 am; help him organize his new room; take him to the grocery store for drinks and snacks; get a nice lunch with Ian before getting on the road. Oh, and Ian decided that he might want a TV for his room, so he wanted to squeeze in a trip to Best Buy to look at what they have. At this point he hadn’t met his new roommate yet, so he didn’t know if he was even going to need a TV. His roommate has a big TV sitting on top of his dresser… however; the room is divided down the middle by both boys’ dressers and desks. It didn’t look like Ian was going to be able to watch his roommate’s TV, unless the boys got along and rearranged the room.

I don’t like Best Buy. I think their return policies stink. But Ian keeps getting gift cards to spend there, so he keeps going. He eyed a 26” flat panel hdtv. It was a Dynex. And once he fiddled with the settings on it a little, it actually looked better than the bigger name TV sitting next to it.

As you know by my previous post, I’ve been considering a Wii. At this point, I’m rationalizing it by saying, “Well, my company gives me a $400/yr fitness allowance. If I get the console and the Fit, that almost equals the allowance.” So I headed for the video game section to look. A small table was set up in the back of the store where two employees were talking. One said to the other, “it’s going to be a boring day, sitting back here with all these Wii-Fits.” Wha---? Wii-Fits? Hmmm… maybe I should investigate. “Tell me about this, Wii-Fit.” They had 41 of them. But no consoles. “Well, you have a 30-day return window if you decide you don’t want it, or you can’t find the console.” So, I think to myself, it’s after Christmas, the Wii rush is over. How hard can it be to find a Wii console? I purchased the Wii-fit. As I took it out to the car, I had several approving nods and grins from strangers in the parking lot, “Oh, you got the Wii-Fit!” Odd.

Now, to find the Console…

No comments: