Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The day Denali came home...


My stomach was in knots yesterday morning (7/21/2008)… I had her confirmation number for her flight(s) so I called Continental’s Pet Safe desk and got her airbill number. From there, I could track her progress across the country, online! :-D (What a geek I am.)

The Cargo pick-up area is very industrial… but there was a small patch of grassy space. So after I checked her (to make sure she was alive) I signed off on her. While signing off, I could hear her whimpering and yipping out on the dock. The cargo guy snipped the zip ties that kept her crate sealed and I opened the crate up. Barely hesitant, she looked at the waiting choke collar like, “What am I supposed to do with that?” But she let me slip it over her head and I picked her up and carried her down the dock steps and over to the grassy patch. She squatted and peed for about an entire minute. Her crate had been lined with a puppy wee pad and filled with cedar shavings… there was no poo, and it all smelled fresh and clean. It was a little wet, but I think it was just from her water dish spilling some… so I wonder if she actually held it all those hours? I put her crate in the back seat of my car and put her back in it for the ride home. She settled in and I think she napped most of the way. It was so hot out and it all went so fast, I didn’t really get to inspect her from head to toe, but I could see that she looked exactly like her pictures, and she seemed pretty happy to see me, too! (Of course, I think she would have been happy to see ANYONE.)

At home, Ian was at work, so I was on my own. It was very hot and humid yesterday, so I didn’t want to keep her out too long, but I needed to clean the crate, get it put back together and take it into the house so she’d have a “bed.” I put her on the leash and secured it to my car… plenty long enough for her to come “help” me clean the crate or go lie in the shade. She’s very friendly, just a touch shy, and doesn’t yet seem to be afraid of anything.

I hand carried her into the house and set her down in the kitchen. She began investigating while I got the baby gates set up, got her some water and put some food down for her. We got a couple of toys and played on the kitchen floor. I’ve watched her water and food intake and was sure to take her out every two hours or 20-40 minutes after eating… we have had no “accidents.” Ian called from work to ask if I got her but he was busy at work, so it wasn’t a good time for us to go over and visit. I told him to call back when he got un-busy and we’d go over. She settled in for a nap and I messed with her while she was trying to sleep. She didn’t mind. (She also didn’t mind me having my hand in her food bowl while she ate.) So I studied her while she slept. She actually has some fleas right now… but we’re going to the vet today so I’ll get something to treat for those. When Ian called at 7:30, we headed to the golf course. She was still wanting to nap, so she just curled up on the front seat and closed her eyes… she had no idea the trip would be so short. I hand carried her over to see Ian and he got a big grin on his face… she did not make a peep when she met him. I set her on the ground and a man at the golf course walked over… she barked three times at him. I picked her up and she was then happy to meet the man.

After our visit to the golf course, I took her to Petco. Again, she curled up on the front seat and closed her eyes… it had been a long day. Once at Petco, I put her in the front of a shopping cart and the people started flocking to us! The first family has Aussies and even had a litter earlier this year. So they already knew what she was; they commented on her markings and eyes. The next girl owns a miniature Aussie, so she also knew. Hers is only 12 pounds at one year old (Denali should be about 55 pounds at full-size.) Next was the Petco employee, who also knows Aussies. Also remarking on her eyes, she told me I did a great job picking out my puppy… then tried to talk me into entering her into a swimsuit competition at the Petco this weekend. I don’t know that I’ll be dressing my dog up in a swimsuit. Then another teenage girl came bounding over, “Can I pet your puppy?” She wanted to know what kind she was, remarked on her eyes and asked her name. I said, “Denali.” She said, “Like the car?” I said, “No, like the mountain in Alaska.” Hah! All the rest of the Petco employees eventually came to greet us in the checkout lane. She was a star! And very well behaved through the entire ordeal.

On our way back out to the car, I set her down to see if she needed to pee… she did not. But a woman coming out of the store next door saw her and asked about her. Also remarking on her coloring and eyes and stating how beautiful she is!

By this time, I’d realized I was pretty hungry… I hadn’t eaten ALL day. So on the way home, I stopped at Burger King. Denali stayed curled up in the front seat. Every once in a while she’d stretch and try to put her head closer to me (but the console/armrest prevented her from curling up right next to me.) The woman in the drive thru window knew she was an Aussie… she has one that’s 15 years old. I asked her what she feeds her dog. “Chicken… she’s fat.” And she wished me just as many happy years with my Aussie.

At home, I mixed up her Puppy Mush… dry dog food, water, canned puppy food, canned salmon, and yogurt. It was also supposed to have a vitamin supplement in it but the Petco was out… we get to go for another ride tonight! She ate about ½ of the mush and she was so happy!!! She got a burst of energy and was wiggling all around, grabbing her toys, following me all over the kitchen! Doug called and I was telling him about my day and the puppy. We were on the phone longer than I wished because I knew I needed to get her outside to do business after eating. So it was probably about 40 minutes after eating that I finally got her outside. We had to run up and down the driveway a few times (because she just wanted to sit in the grass) and then we had our first poo! What a good girl!

I took her back in, set up the gates and I left her in the kitchen while I did some work in the den. She wasn’t too wild about being so far away from me, and she whined and whimpered a bit. But then settled down and laid on the kitchen floor where she could see me.

The cats are doing as well as can be expected… I had Denali in her crate when I let the boys come out of their room. Ula immediately headed for the crate and hissed. Then he meowed, growled and hissed again. Mr. Whiskers hasn’t said anything. He pretty much just goes way off to the side and watches. They both are learning about this “baby gate” thing. One gate is pretty tall and they haven’t quite learned that they are able to jump over it… so I’m having to lift them over, or just open it up. Once I took Denali out of her crate, she pretty much just wanted to play with her new toys and the cats didn’t seem to interest her too much. (Though later in the evening, after a trip outside, I still had her leash on her… good thing, because Ula took off running and Denali thought it was a good idea to go chase. The retractable leash came in VERY handy just then!)

Bed time (midnight) last night went pretty well… she’s not too interested in being in her crate. So I threw a couple of “cookies” in there and tried to coax her in. She’s already figured out how to grab, turn and escape quickly. So getting her into bed is going to take some more training. She whined, whimpered and barked up a storm for 10 minutes and then she was quiet. Ian came in later (he was over at Ryan’s) and I was thankful he didn’t have to try to go to sleep while she was acting up… but she stayed quiet as he came in and didn’t act up after the original 10 minute ordeal. I was hoping she’d be a better watch dog.

This morning, I got up at 5:15 to take her out. She was SO happy to see me. I was worried that she’d pee in her excitement. I cautiously picked her up and headed outside with her. She squatted! GOOD GIRL!!! We came back in and got some water and breakfast and we played for about 20 minutes. Back outside… run the driveway a couple of times, and head for the same place we did poo last night… perfect! Right on cue! GOOD GIRL!!! Brought her up to my bathroom with some toys to chew on while I got ready for work. Near the end of my shower, she was whimpering because she couldn’t find me. But once I stepped out, she was quiet. She didn’t mind the noise of the hair dryer and she just stayed near my feet while I got ready. Back downstairs and outside for one more pee… GOOD GIRL!!! Into the crate. And I’m off to work. The rest of today is up to Ian! I haven’t heard from him yet, so I don’t know how it’s going.

We have a vet appointment at 3:30 today; OOPS, spoke too soon… Ian just called… Denali’s being a good girl and still no accidents.


No comments: